I changed things around a bit, and added a few things. It's as new to me as it is to you, but I think it'll work. As usual I'll try to have a variety of topics, but come summer there will be more postings about car events. You can email me at cruisaholic@hotmail.com Keep the shiny side up!

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Fit over 50 open thread

Just came across this exercise suggested for older adults, to build muscle strength in the arms and shoulders. It seems so easy, so I thought I'd pass it on to some of my friends. The article suggested doing it three days a week.

Begin by standing on a comfortable surface, where you have plenty of room at each side. With a 5-lb potato sack in each hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides and hold them there as long as you can. Try to reach a full minute, and then relax.

Each day, you'll find that you can hold this position for just a bit longer.

After a couple of weeks, move up to 10-lb potato sacks.

Then try 50-lb potato sacks and then eventually try to get to where you can lift a 100-lb potato sack in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a f ull minute. (I'm at this level)

After you feel confident at that level, put a potato in each of the sacks.

Younger folks are welcome to try it too. This is an open thread, so here's where to post your thoughts.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too hard on the joints, should use rubber band isometrics type of exercises. Much safer and less fattening (starches).

cruiser said...

Now you tell me joe. Even though I like potatoes, it took quite a while to empty all those bags.

Anonymous said...

Can we substitute blondes and brunettes for the 100 lb sacks of potatoes? They are a whole lot more fun to be around and lift than sacks of potatoes.

cruiser said...

anon at 2:28,
Maybe you could do it, but if I tried it my wife would kill me.

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding me? The brunette would be telling you that you are doing it all wrong and the blonde would keep falling out of the sack! Stick with the potatoes, with a bit of butter they taste great!