I changed things around a bit, and added a few things. It's as new to me as it is to you, but I think it'll work. As usual I'll try to have a variety of topics, but come summer there will be more postings about car events. You can email me at cruisaholic@hotmail.com Keep the shiny side up!

Saturday, March 03, 2007

Crime thoughts

I don't think I'll surprise anyone by stating that I think crime is a problem around here, and nationwide. As I have stated many times, I don't believe there's one answer on how to get it down. I think the problem starts at the top and works it way down. Congress has just spent a lot of time passing a non-binding resolution that says they don't back the war in Iraq. A huge majority of the citizens of this country already know that because these politicians have been all over the media proclaiming as much. But couldn't that time been spent on something more productive. How about an ethics bill? Or term limits? Or harsher sentences for violent crime?

In our Statehouse they are debating a cigarette tax when we have drugs everywhere in the state. We even have gangs from Mexico delivering drugs to our state. Lat week in a winter storm, we had an armed home invasion, grafitti damage, and other crimes along with the power outage to deal with. Our poverty level is up and the number of uneducated in our state is also rising. Violent crimes are at an all time high. In this day and age with no death penalties where the criminals have more rights than victims, and plea deals are the norm; am I the only one that has a problem with this?

I believe we, as citizens, deserve a relief from these problems. Stiffen the laws on crack, get tougher on juvenilles who are mutiple offenders, forget about criminal rights and give us citizens back our safety. The answer is out there, and I don't believe it would be extremely costly. I also believe it's doable. But until these people put aside their hidden agendas, egos, and party line thinking, I don't think it will happen.

That's what I think, and as usual your comments are welcome.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So true, I would love for something big to get it started, but what. Will it come just before the November elections or shortly afterwards. My thought, it will be the latter. How sad. I just don't think that with all the distractions at city hall right now, they are too busy trying to be on the "down-low". Out of sight if you know what I mean.

cruiser said...

I'll know more Tuesday night after the 5th Ward meeting. I'll probably do a post tomorrow about the when and where. According to the newsletter the city council is trying to find some answers. We'll see.

Anonymous said...

Lynn is a snake in the grass, he is not for the people, h3e is merely running for Mayor. Watch yourself.

cruiser said...

joe,
I don't know the man good enough for name calling. He did send me extra crime information for my new post. And I didn't forget it's an election year, but I'll take information wherever it comes from if it's reliable.

Anonymous said...

To some up Prof. Billy Lynn:

"Those who can do, those who can't teach!"

Again, please take no offense if you are a real teacher do not buy in to special interest groups.