I changed things around a bit, and added a few things. It's as new to me as it is to you, but I think it'll work. As usual I'll try to have a variety of topics, but come summer there will be more postings about car events. You can email me at cruisaholic@hotmail.com Keep the shiny side up!

Monday, February 05, 2007

Water problem for downtown

Seems the water main break is causing problems downtown. City hall, the Library, the Heritage, and Central Fire at least are affected. What will we do? The Fire Department has secured tankers, and water conservation measures are in effect for city buildings. The City has established an emergency operations center at the Police Department. Mayor Winborn has ordered a white van to be outside the Police Department, manned by a VIPS (Volunteers In Police Services) person in case someone needs a restroom break, to shuttle people to the School Administration Building at 16th and Main St. Nothing like being on top of things. I didn't hear the news converence at 11 a.m. as I'm looking after our son, who's out sick today. At least our water pressure is ok in the 5th ward where I'm at.

-----Addendum-----

Someone mentioned they didn't like how the comments pop up in a separate window now instead of how it used to be. Before it would open on the same page and when someone was done reading they had to backtrack to get back to the blog. So what do you think? The new way with the pop up window, or the old way? Let me know and whichever way gets more comments is how it will be.

7 comments:

Dave said...

Have you heard if they are cancelling the Council meeting for tonight due to the water issue? I haven't seen any mention of it on the Davenport City site or QC Times.

cruiser said...

I haven't heard anything about closing the meetiing. Here is what I just heard-

As of a few minutes ago, Iowa American crews, assisted by Davenport Public Works personnel, have stopped the water gushing into River Drive at College.

Public Works personnel are removing several million gallons of ice and slush from River Drive and will assist Iowa American with equipment and personnel as needed to repair the water line.

Downtown City buildings remain open and are operating with water conservation in mind.

A water boil advisory has been issued until Wednesday morning for the area south of 10th Street and West of Mound.

QuadCityImages said...

Man, I didn't know about any of this. Of course, I just got up... Its a good thing I didn't immediately have a nice big glass of water.

I noticed the low water pressure this morning, but didn't think much of it.

Sometimes being a 3rd-shifter causes me to miss out on stuff.

cruiser said...

Dave,
I asked my friend downtown if the water problem would affect the meeting tonight and here is his response-

I don't think so, but I understand anyone found eating yellow snow outside the building will not be allowed speak during public business before the Council.


QCI, let's just hope the worst is over.

Dave said...

Although I might question the credibility, no to mention judgement, of any eating yellow snow I still think they should be allowed to speak. After a Mentos, of course!

Whatever happened to the Democratic process?

cruiser said...

I love it Dave. Probably that and a moist towelette.

Anonymous said...

Maybe yellow snow means Shabonee was downtown helping Keith today.