I changed things around a bit, and added a few things. It's as new to me as it is to you, but I think it'll work. As usual I'll try to have a variety of topics, but come summer there will be more postings about car events. You can email me at cruisaholic@hotmail.com Keep the shiny side up!

Friday, February 09, 2007

Nothing bad to say open thread

Here's some news from the latest City Council update. I like where they're heading, I just hope it isn't an election year grab for votes.

The five new Police positions will be three positions in the Juvenile Unit, one added patrol officer, and one new NETS officer. The city could add three new NETS officers in 2008, but they would either need to adjust the levey upward by 5 cents. I could live with that figure. They could also reduce the fund balance below what's recommended.

Also on a staffing note; DAI and Fire officials want to add four staff members to the Fire/NEO department. They think the extra funds could come from adjusted fees and fines, which would also promote better property management.

On the Public Safety side, Davenport has a Federal Grant which should make it's portion of area PSAP's (dispatch centers) around $75,000. It would be nice to have one dispatch center.

Public Works is going to recommend eliminating the Fejervary Learning Center. I think this is due to funding problems and could change.

The Blackhawk Hotel is in the works again, just a little behind schedule. Let's hope this goes through also.

The Urban Homestead Drawing was held and found 3 new owners for properties on 9th., Brown, and Wilkes.

Lastly the parking tickets; out of 11,485 tickets, 3,373 were collected on netting the city $46,561. Not bad for three months.

Comments are welcome. Let us know what you think.

4 comments:

QuadCityImages said...

I'm surprised a collection agency was willing to go after the parking tickets for only 25% of the cash.

Anonymous said...

I believe these changes are a cover up for the mistakes made shortly after this council was elected. But the best learned lessons are the hard learned lessons. It will be interesting to see if all the councilman are on board with the additions.

cruiser said...

QCI, I wondered about that myself. One of them, if it seems to good to be true it isn't kind of feelings.
joe, it's also an election year for most of these people so I believe it will be interesting indeed.

Dave said...

Considering elections are every two years, it's hard for me to believe this is just politics. I guess I'm an eternal optimist though.

25% is a pretty standard fee for collection agencies. Looks like that was an effective measure for the city to take.